Government announces first-ever Food Policy for Canada
On June 17, Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, along with Parliamentary Secretary Jean-Claude Poissant, launched Canada’s first-ever federal Food Policy.
The policy entitled “Everyone at the Table!” is the product of consultation and collaboration with Canadians across the country. In all, more than 45,000 Canadians made their views known, including food producers and processors, experts in environment, health and food security.
Easy access to healthy food
The new Food Policy for Canada is based on a clear vision: all people in Canada should be able to access a sufficient amount of safe, nutritious and culturally diverse food.
$134 million has been allocated to the policy, to be invested in four short term action areas:
- helping Canadian communities access healthy food
- making Canadian food the top choice at home and abroad
- supporting food security in Northern and Indigenous communities
- reducing food waste
Food Policy of Canada initiatives of particular interest to Agropur include:
- a new Canada Brand and Buy Canadian promotional campaigns that will aim to increase pride and consumer confidence in Canadian food
- a challenge fund to support the most innovative food waste reduction ideas in food processing, grocery retail, and food service
For more information, see the government press release.